Tuesday, March 16, 2010

How do I get white line highway striping paint off the body of my 2000 Corvette without damaging the finish?

I'm not sure if regular ';over the counter'; bug and tar remover will damage a fiberglas body or finish.How do I get white line highway striping paint off the body of my 2000 Corvette without damaging the finish?
In the body shop we wet a towel with lacquer thinner and work it in to the area to soften it.Then gently scrape it with the finger nail or if it's really bad then use a plastic scraper.Milder solvents have no affect on that type of paint.Lacquer thinner sounds brutal,but it won't attack the urethane clear on your Vette.It takes patience and time to lift each clump away but softened with solvent it will come off.How do I get white line highway striping paint off the body of my 2000 Corvette without damaging the finish?
Call the dealer and ask them for the name of a place who can help you. DO NOT do it yourself.
I would try Turtle Wax bug and tar first The Paint on a Vette can take even stronger chemicals like grease and oil remover available from paint shops. 3M makes a product called adheasive remover I keep some around for just such a white stripe paint sling. All will remove the carefully applied wax job.... But if your car was properly waxed we would not be having this little talk. Well waxed cars just wash off the paint stuck to the wax and circular scrubbing with a wash mitt should take the road paint off. Waxed cars you could have blown off the paint with a pressure wahser at the self service car wash
WD 40!
No, you should be OK. Hopefully your clear coat is still alive and well.


Just be a bit gentle and follow up with wax.





I had a white vet and used bug%26amp;tar all the time mostly for tar, although I never had to deal with highway striping.
http://mothers.com

No comments:

Post a Comment